My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Tuesday 8 February 2011

New turks and last years young

I've just about got my birds sorted for spring.  I've managed to sell the young from last year and swapped one of them for a new yellow opaline cock.

He's the one on the left.  The bird on the right is the young cinnamon yellow opaline hen from last year. They will make a fine pair.  But unfortunately the hen will probably be too young to breed, at least for the first part of this year.  What I may do is pair him with a slightly older hen for now. She's a normal split yellow that I bought last year.

I've also kept the young opaline turk from last year, which I thought was hen and was all ready to sell until I was informed it may well be a cock (time will tell).  I'm glad because I really like this bird.
Again, he will probably be too young to breed straight away this year.

1 comment:

  1. very nice! my keets don't really breed until closer to 2 years old, so waiting for the young to get old enough can be very trying sometimes for my patients :D

    ReplyDelete