My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Friday 22 April 2011

Bourkes - update

It hasn't been the best eggs to hatch ratio.  I thought Pinky and Perky's 8 eggs to 3 chicks was poor, but Rocky and Rosie had 9 eggs to 1 chick...some how I don't think all the eggs have been incubated properly despite me removing the clear ones.  Still, overall that's 4 chicks more than the turks!

Rocky and Rosie.

I can tell one of Pinky's chicks is a Rubino because it has pale eye-lids or red eyes (the one being fed below).  This is the ino which will combine with rosa to give a rubino and because of the sex-linked inheritance I know it will be a hen.  The other two, with dark eyes, will be visually rosa cocks split rubino.

3 comments:

  1. wow, you can really see the food going down the baby's throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is going on with the camera/box change?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second camera in the shed. I've got a new hen turquoisine and she's keen to breed.

    ReplyDelete