My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Saturday 23 October 2010

Red eyes

I had no idea of the sex the young oplaline turqs, until I took this photo.
I usually try not to use the flash as it alters colour and flattens the picture, however it has shown the two yellow opaline turqs to have red eyes. Their mother, second from the left, does not have red eyes. The young cinnamon on the far left also has red eyes as expected (normally it's hard tell as it shows up as a  dark plum colour in normal light).  I have to assume therefore that both the yellows are also cinnamons, which I had suspected for one of them.  That means according to sex-linked inheritance they are both hens. Pity because the one with the most red I was hoping was a cock.  I still don't know whether to keep this bird or the opaline on the far right with the very full red chest, which I still have know idea of the sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment