My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Thursday 30 September 2010

2 Turqs fledged

Two of the turq chicks left the box today; the normal (hen I think) and the opaline normal which maybe a cock.  Unfortunately both the sexes have under-wing bars when opaline is present.  Also the red wing shoulder patch can show up on hens and not always on cocks.
The opaline already has a full red front and although it has smashed it's head flying into the mesh, that's not blood but red feathers on its forehead.

Update on bourkes: The two fertile eggs from Pinky and Perky were dead in shell.  Also, Rosie never even started sitting on her eggs.  That's it now, they'll have to wait till next year. Once the turqs all leave the nest I'll be removing the nest boxes for winter

1 comment:

  1. DIS frustrates me. My linnies keep doing what your bourkes are doing. Excellent results with the turqs though.

    ReplyDelete