My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Tuesday 23 November 2010

Opaline turk

Some photos' of the young opaline turk from the second round.  I'm still uncertain of it's sex.

The red chest is very dark even before the first moult
Some red feathers showing on the wing.  For opalines both cocks and hens can show red wing bar
Both cock and hen opalines have a large white under wing stripe

I will have to wait till this birds gets more adult plumage.  If it's a male there should be more blue on its head, particularly on the lore feathers (bit between beak and eye).

No comments:

Post a Comment