My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Saturday 22 June 2013

Cinnamon makes sexing easy

Due to the sex-linked inheritance of cinnamon, both cinnamon opalines on the right will be hens, the green opalines (a third is at the other end of the nest box) will be cocks.
Assuming dad is not split for yellow (he may be);
Red fronted cinnamon / opaline cock x red fronted yellow opaline hen gives;
Cocks
50% Green opaline / yellow cinnamon
50% Green /yellow cinnamon opaline
Hens
50% Cinnamon / yellow
50% Cinnamon opaline / yellow
All red fronted. But why some are more red than others...I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment