My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Sunday 9 May 2010

Better late than never

Two of Marge's eggs have finally hatched.  I was starting to think that they were all dead in the shell as they were so overdue. When I looked at the eggs a few days before they hatched, 2 eggs out of the five remaining eggs looked as if they may also have chicks inside.  However, they are now 4 or 5 days overdue.
I hope Barney now starts to help feed the chicks. He's still got a swollen foot which has not responded to the antibiotics in the drinking water, which I've now stopped because of the chicks.

Not the best video quality...poor light. It's usually better at 8 to 10am BST when some sunlight filters into the box and flicks of the camera's infra-red.

Goldie the turk is sitting on her eggs and probably has been for the past two days, so they should be due about the 26th May.

The Hecks yet again threw out a newly hatched chick and the other eggs failed to hatch.  I've replaced their small nest basket with a larger nest box and they have already started to build another nest in it.  Hopefully this bigger space will make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment