My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Friday 14 May 2010

..no, it's going wrong!

The two chicks died.
Apologies for posting this picture but breeding birds is not always nice!

Judging by the eyelid colour these two birds are lutino's.  So out of the 4 chicks, the 3 that have died have all been lutino.  The surviving chick has black eyelids and is probably a normal.
I'm starting to think that lutino's are genetically weak. I'll have to see if this happens again if I get a second round.
I had loads of problems last year with sick adult lutino pairs, that I eventually gave up on them. Why did I not just stick with normals?

No comments:

Post a Comment