My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Saturday 14 August 2010

Bourkes courtship display

Rosa and rubino bourkes are notoriously difficult to sex, unlike normals which can be sexed easily by the hens having an under the wing stripe.  In rosa's both cocks and hens have the stripe.
To be sure the only way is to see the cock bird displaying.  I managed to catch my rubino doing this, it wasn't easy as he would stop every time when he saw me filming.


This rubino was bought as a hen and it took me a long time to find out that he was in fact a cock. The problem was that a cock bird will rarely display if he's with another more dominant male, he will even act hen like, allowing the dominant cock bird to feed them.

My turqs have started another clutch....so far two eggs.

The previous two turq chicks are now independent and have been moved to the brown aviary, the cock bird is starting to get his red chest now.


I also have Mr Burns and Marge (seagreen and lutino splendids) now together in this aviary in one last attempt to breed my remaining splendids this year.  Lisa the white breasted blue splendid was just not interested at all.


The bourkes chicks are growing fast and are just starting to open their eyes.




No comments:

Post a Comment