My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Saturday 21 August 2010

Last of the splendids

After 4 years I've finally given up on splendids, having now sold my remaining birds.  After the loss of Barney this year and the disasters and expense I had with lutino's I've decided to just keep the bourkes and turqs from now on, they are just that bit more hardy for my aviaries which don't get any sun in the winter months.

The bourkes chicks are just feathering up.  Bourkes are not the best house-keepers, splendids and turqs are much more tidy.

2 comments:

  1. I'll miss your splendids, but hope you're going to keep all the great info regarding them you have on your website. I must say that your European grasskeets - especially the turqs and splendids have so much better colorings than the ones I've seen here in the USA in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe...check out some of the colours of the birds on the German and Dutch web sites (new links on my website)

    ReplyDelete