My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Tuesday 3 August 2010

Rosa Bourkes chicks

My pair of rosa bourkes, Rocky and Rosie have at last got chicks. One chick hatched yesterday and the other today, hopefully the other fertile eggs will also hatch. I've got the web cam back on line in their nest box.  The cam can be viewed from the link on my website. It's the wireless cam so the signal is not always perfect.
Rocky spends a lot of time in the box with his mate, including roosting. This is a bit unusual as grass parakeet males normally only go in the box to feed the hen and chicks.  Strange, but when a bred a pair of splendids in this breeding cage, the male also roosted in the box. 
My other pair of bourkes have eggs, but I'm not sure if they are fertile, I haven't managed to get a close look yet.  I have my doubts as the mating attempts of Pinky, the Rubino cock have been a bit feeble.

1 comment:

  1. congrats! I too have a splendid male that liked to stay in the nest box as well - I took it as a sign of a good father.

    ReplyDelete