My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Saturday 10 April 2010

DNA results

I got the DNA results back; Rosey is a boy! I feel a bit let down, particularly as I was told she he had had two clutches last year. To be honest I think it was genuine mistake and I was offered a new bird, however logistically it would be impossible as they live hundreds of miles from where I live!
At least, Goldie is the right sex, although I suspect she's a little too young to breed.
I've managed to get two new rosa bourkes, which are supposedly hens.  But the fact is you can never be sure with these colour mutations.  I would have preferred normals, at least then you can tell with the under wing stripe on the hens.  I got them from a pet shop.  Not something I would normally do, but it would be hard to get anything off local breeders at the start of the season.  I've now split Rockey and Rosey (I'll have to think of a new name) with each of the new 'hens'!....let's hope I don't have to resort to DNA testing again.


No comments:

Post a Comment