My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Sunday 25 April 2010

Eggs are fertile

I was a little bit premature the other day with Marge's eggs, as the first egg I checked this weekend is indeed fertile. I check the eggs by shining a light through the eggs, if the egg is fertile you can see blood vessels and the blob of the start of an embryo. I didn't bother with the other eggs, as there was no point risking handling them.
I'm still worried about Barneys foot, it's obviously giving him discomfort as he's restricting his flying and tends to lean onto his good foot.  I wish I had a good local avian vet.  Unfortunately general vets have absolutely know idea with birds, but they are very good at taking your money!.
Also Barneys not feeding Marge, which is also a worry. Although I think this is mainly due to Marge not letting him. She's always been a bit of a loner and tends to growl at other birds.  Hopefully things will improve when the eggs hatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment