My photo
I keep and breed a small number of Australian grass parakeets. This blog provides information and pictures of my birds and a log of their breeding activities. It is also a photo blog of landscapes and wildlife. My dog Buster may also make an appearance. For Nest Box Live - click the link above or visit my website!

Saturday 17 April 2010

Sitting..at last

Finger crossed, Marge appears to be now sitting on the eggs full time. She sat last night and has stayed in tonight.  The eggs take 18 days to hatch from the start of incubation, so they should start to hatch on the 4th May. I'll check them next week to see if they are fertile.
I am still a bit concerned about Barney not feeding her, she appears to spend to long off the eggs feeding herself.


Since taking the photo, she's laid another egg. That's seven in total...too many! This probably explains the late sitting. This happened last year with Barneys old mate and all the eggs were infertile.


Goldie is now going in out of the nestbox. The turquosines share the aviary with one pair of the bourkes and I have 3 nest boxes in the aviary for them to choose from. The turqs have been trying them all at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment